Sunday, July 18, 2010

How does your garden grow? Part 17: Freezing corn from the cob.


Oh man it's corn time! We just had some amazing corn this weekend. The kind of amazing I'd like to taste in...say...February. I have not ever had a can of corn taste like fresh off the cob. I also have not ever had any frozen corn taste great either. Corn on the cob is a staple of summer and I can happily say it's a staple of winter now too. I have an easy recipe for freezing corn on the cob. Actually, it's going to be off the cob, but I like saying corn on the cob better. It just flows off your tongue better than corn off the cob. Okay? Okay. This recipe is even easier if you grab your friend or family member to help. It's usually a pretty easy bribe when they can take some corn home with them. They'll thank you come February.


Go get it:
- Corn. Lots of corn. I usually go with 4 dozen. You want to make this worth your time.
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Water
- Large cookie sheet(s)
- Large cake pan
- Knife or electric knife
- Biggest stock pot you have.
- Freezer zip top bags. I like quart size. This is a perfect amount to pull out of the freezer for a family of 4.
Go make it:
1. Clean up your corn. Using a soft bristled scrub brush will remove any little silk that is hard to get rid of by hand. You can also use paper towel, but I am more for the eco-friendly brush. Remove the stalk.
2. Remove kernals from the cob by standing the ear of corn in the cake pan or cookie sheet and running the knife from top to bottom. I usually get this done in 4 rows and then go back and get what I missed. The cake pan or cookie sheet will help catch the kernals. Do this until all of the corn is removed from the cobs.
3. Add corn kernals to your pot. Cover with water a couple inches above corn.
4. Add sugar. Give it a good stir. Bring to a boil. Boil until desired doneness is required. I generally do about five minutes. You don't want it over cooked. Remember you will be heating this again at some point and you don't want tough corn. After five minutes cool on your cookie sheet. Stirring to cool faster.
5. Once cool, scoop corn into freezer bags. I like to use a meassuring cup so I know how much is in each bag, but that's just me. Flatten the bags and try to remove as much air as possible. A little trick I use is to stick a straw into the bag and seal the bag as close to the straw as possible. Now suck out as much air as you can. Now quickly remove straw and seal the last little bit.
6. Label bags and put in your deep freeze (chest freezer) or way in the back of your refrigerator's freezer. I keep this up to six months. It might be fine longer, but I haven't ever had it last that long. :)

If you want to get all fancy you can add blanched peppers, onions or any of your other favorite veggies.  You will be so happy you have this corn on hand come Turkey Day or any fall or winter night for dinner. It is delish.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Yum-o. I love frozen (previously fresh) corn. :) We would do this every summer and have corn for forever.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to put it on my list for later this summer.