Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Stovetop popcorn recipe!

One of my fond childhood memories is eating freshly made popcorn. And not that garbage out of a bag. I am no popcorn snob, but popcorn out of a bag is like ham out of a can to me. No offense to either, but sometimes I just want real tasting popcorn. I do keep microwave popcorn in my home on occasion so please recycle that hate mail you are about to send. And it's that kind that leaves your mouth feeling liked you just ate a tub of Crisco. I know you know what I am talking about.  What can I say? I am a butter lover.

When we made popcorn as kids it was in a Stir Crazy popper. You know those black, domed poppers that melted the butter on top and then you turned it over and ate it out of the big dome. It was sooo good. Those days are long gone and so is that popper. I have an air popper, but that just isn't the same. As one person put it.....they'd rather snack on packing peanuts. Hmm. I love that homemade popcorn is a frugal option too. I wait until I find popping corn on major sale and then freeze it. Here is a recipe that is as close to Stir Crazy (or fill in your favorite childhood popcorn memory) as it gets.

Stovetop Popcorn (adapted a teensy bit from Simply Recipes. Go have a looksy here.)

Go get it:

1/2 cup popping corn
3 or 4 tablespoons coconut oil (Any high smoke point oil such as canola, peanut or grape seed works well.)
toppings of your choice

Go make it:

Add your oil to a heavy bottomed 3 quart or larger pan. You will need to cover it later too so go ahead and dig out the cover. Heat on medium high heat. Add salt to the oil if you are planning on adding it later as a topping. Trust me now or never. Add a couple of kernels of corn to the oil. Cover pan and wait until the kernels have started popping (Or better yet until they are done popping or they may fly across your kitchen!) and then add the rest of the popping corn. Make sure the cover is put back on. As soon as the popping corn starts doing what it's supposed to shake it like your life depended on it. No kidding. Now if you are able....tip the lid so the steam escapes. This will ensure crunchy popcorn. Now you may want to don oven mits or shake at your own risk. When popping has slowed down to every couple of seconds remove from heat. Now is a good time to add your butter if you so desire. The hot pan will melt it perfectly. Did I tell you to stop shaking? Keep going! Okay, before your arms break off you can go grab a big spoon or spatula and stir it the rest of the way. This is so your butter gets evenly adhered. Now add your salt....wait a minute. Aren't you paying any attention?! You already added your salt. The best part is if you waited too long normally your salt won't stick.....well we don't have that problem do we? See if you put it in the oil it is being perfectly placed on your popcorn as it is cooked and then violently shaken. Some other fun toppings are:

- Butter of course
- Seasoned Salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Sea Salt
- Brown sugar or plain jane cane sugar (think Kettle Corn)
- Tobasco
- Chili Powder
- Any other fun suggestions?

No comments: