Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Got seeds?!





As of March 18 The Dinner Garden is back logged from requests pouring in. I really hope that everyone isn't requesting 'FREE' seeds because they are free. I saw this posted on a lot of blogs lately with no information whatsoever. Most just said 'get your free seeds here.' If you do donate money to The Dinner Garden it's completely tax-deductible. As of right now they can't send any seeds because their orders went from 20 per day to thousands per day.

Head on over to The Dinner Garden. The Dinner Garden is a wonderful organization trying to end hunger by getting you to plant a garden. Don't have the room? Not true. Don't have the seeds? They can help. They are trying to spread the word that everyone can have a garden. Even if it means getting a little help from them.

"The Dinner Garden provides seeds, gardening supplies, and gardening advice free of charge to all people in the United States of America. We assist those in need in establishing food security for their families. Our goal is for people to plant home, neighborhood, and container gardens so they can use the vegetables they grow for food and income." -The Dinner Garden 

There is a little bit of everything you need to know about gardening on their site. From getting free seeds all the way through to seed saving once you harvest. My favorite part is how much that they stress anyone can and is a gardener. Even if it's just a pot on your window sill or an open spot in between your Hostas. This is totally my thinking too.  Now my only goal isn't to get the word out about free seeds, supplies and help-it's to get the word out about a great organization. So if you could use some more seeds how about you send some extra their way so it's fair. They take monetary donations and seed donations (actually anything you can send their way is appreciated) which is really cool. Here's where to send it:

The Dinner Garden

P.O. Box 700686

San Antonio, Texas 78270-0686

I am going to dig through my pile of seeds and see what I can send their way. Sounds fun. Let me know if you get any seeds from them or what you sent their way. Next year, after I save more seeds from this season, I will send a bunch to them. I'm not really sure why I don't save many seeds. Do you? Thanks $5 Dinners!



No comments: