Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spicy Honey Chicken recipe.

I love to cook. I also love anything spicy. If it makes my nose run it's good in my book. Don't worry you can alter the heat in this recipe. This is hands down the best chicken I have ever had. Honest to goodness. Read on. I know you want to!

I have a couple of food blogs/forums that I visit weekly. One of them is Our Best Bites. They are a couple of girls that totally remind me of myself. That sounded shallow, but you know what I mean. People who you'd want to be friends with. Especially friends that can cook! They make this amazing chicken recipe called Spicy Honey Chicken. Here we go.

 Spicy Honey Chicken

2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (I know what you are thinking. Yes, chicken thighs! Trust me.)
2 t. vegetable oil

Rub:
2 t  garlic, granulated or powdered

2 t chili powder
1 t salt
1 t cumin
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t coriander
1/2 t chipotle chili powder (This is not the same thing as the chili powder listed above. This makes the recipe. I buy mine at Penzy's.)

Glaze:
1/2 c honey
1 T Apple Cider Vinegar

Combine all of the spices in a gallon zip top bag or large bowl. Mix well. Trim thighs of excess fat. Pat dry. Rub with oil and toss with spice rub. Coat well. Really get in there so the spice rub covers every inch. Grill each side for 5 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. You can use your bbq outside or a grillpan on your stove. If you don't have either of those available you can try this under the broiler. Beware the smoke alarm may go off! While the chicken is cooking heat the honey in the microwave. This is to make it thin and easily mixed with the vinegar. Add vinegar and stir well. Set aside roughly 2-3 T. to use as a dip at the end. Use the rest to brush on while grilling. Make sure to do this at the end or you will and up with hard, black chicken. And that's not the name of the recipe! Now I mentioned the smoke alarm earlier. It is still going to smoke on the grill. This is sugar we are dealing with here. Sugar on an open flame. Your best bet is to keep the grill closed. Once the chicken is done drizzle on the remaining glaze or use it to dip your chicken into. That's what our household prefers to do. Ta da! You are ready to eat.

~If you don't quite like the heat as much as I do you can omit the chipotle chili powder and up the regular chili powder and add paprika. Now if you want to up the heat (hee hee) you can always add red pepper flakes. I really hope you enjoy this diash as much as we do. We make this atleast once a month. Let me know what you think. And better yet, let Sara and Kate know what you think over at Our Best Bites. If I make this soon I'll try to add a picture here. That's usually pretty convincing!

No comments: