Sunday, September 5, 2010

How does your garden grow? Part 23 and 24: More yummy garden recipes!

I'm giving you more than one this week due to the missing post last Sunday. My internet was down and I didn't think Monday could handle a gardening post. He's kind of lazy and just likes to enter contests so you see. Here are a few of my favorite things to make. I'm using fresh garlic (oh garden grown garlic to sooo much better than the store bought stuff and super easy to grow) for the Garlic Garlic copycat recipe. For my Beer Bread recipe I'm going to show you how to quickly make your own self rising flour for those of you who don't keep it on hand. Did she just say Beer Bread?! Yuppers. And for my taco meat recipe I'm whipping up a homemade seasoning similar to the fajita sasoning.



Taco Seasoning
Go get it:

2 lbs. lean ground beef/chuck (You can substitute ground turkey too.)

2 tablespoons corn starch (You can use flour in a pinch too.)
6 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon instant minced onion
1 teaspoon beef bouillon

Go make it:

Brown beef in a large skillet. Drain off fat. While meat is cooking mix all seasonings together well (I like to use a pestle to get any dried chunks all mixed in.) When beef is browned add seasoning and 1 cup of water. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Once boiling turn down heat and simmer until thick. Since this is a homemade recipe I like to let it cook about 15 to 20 minutes to get the flavors absorbed into the meat. Serve like usual on top of nachos, inside crunchy or soft taco shells. Add your favorite topping like lettuce, tomaotes and jalapenos from your garden (we did!). Maybe some sour cream, cheese and guac. Oh yeh and lots of hot sauce. :) Enjoy.


Beer Bread
Go get it:

3 cups self rising flour (If you do not have SR flour you can make it by using all purpose flour with 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt per cup you are putting together.)
12 oz. beer (not light beer!) or apple juice
1/2 cup sugar ( I would reduce this if using juice.)
3 tablespoons melted butter

Go make it:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add flour to bowl (and baking powder/salt if making your own). Add sugar and mix well. Now crack open that beer. You know it's too early to drink so just add it to the bowl. Bottoms up. Start mixing on a low speed. I'm using the dough hook, but could have totally gotten away with using the paddle.
2. Take a spatula and really get the bottom mixed up. You know how hard it is to get the bottom of the bowl mixed up when you have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Mix on low until it is all good to go. Dough will be very sticky.

3. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake for about an hour. Better check it early just in case. I do not advise you to double this recipe in one bowl. Unless you have extra tickets to the gun show for me. Even my stand mixer has a hard time. I learned my lesson in the past. Serve warm if you can't wait or cut into cubes and serve with Garlic Garlic Dip for a yummy appetizer (Or meal in my case lol.).


Garlic Garlic Dip
Go get it:

1 Tbsp. granulated garlic

1 Tbsp. garlic salt
4 to 6 cloves of garlic minced (I advise you to use fresh as jarred will offer a different taste, but play around.)
1 Tbsp. minced onion flakes
1/2 cup mayo (I have used light in this recipe.)
1/2 cup sour cream (I have used light in this recipe.)

1. Mix all dry ingredients together well.



2. Add minced garlic (See my cool garlic press up there?! You don't even have to peel it. The 3rd picture is the leftover peeling you discard after it has been pressed.), mayo and sour cream. Mix well. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, but over night is recommended. Serve with Beer Bread, crackers or pretzels. I have also used this as a base for potato salad.

No comments: