Sunday, September 12, 2010

How does your garden grow? Part 25: Raspberry Blackberry Freezer Jam recipe.

My raspberry bushes are in full swing again. No complaints here. I had enough frozen and fresh to make some jam. I thought a good combo would be to add blackberries. Those I did not grow. This recipe is very similar to the Strawberry Rhubarb Jam I made earlier this summer.

Go get it:

First you gather your ingredients. You will need enough fruit to equal 4 cups. This is 4 cups of mashed fruit. Trust me, 4 cups of whole raspberries is a whole lot different than 4 cups of mashed. You don't have to cook the berries. This is the best part about freezer jam. For the most part no cooking. This makes the jam taste fresh picked and saves a lot of the good for you stuff in them.


4 cups of mashed raspberries/blackberries
1 1/2 cups sugar or Splenda (I used 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar)
1 packet Ball Instant Fruit Pectin
6 eight oz. containers to store your jam in. 

Go make it:

1. Mix your sugar and pectin in a medium size bowl.  
2. Add mashed fruit to sugar mixture. Mix well.

3. Spoon mixture into your containers leaving a little head space (room for expansion).


Let mixture set for 30 minutes before putting into your fridge or freezer. If freezing you can keep these about a year. If putting into the fridge you can keep this about 3 weeks.

No comments: