Newer constructed homes are tightly sealed and this assures that we don't let cold/hot air in or out. This is great for efficiency, but not for our health. There have been studies showing that quite a few tropical plants and some typical houseplants have great capabilities at removing these toxins. NASA is the most well known study that people cite. NASA recommends that you put one plant per 100 square feet in your home. So load up!
Here are the top 10 most air purifying plants:
- Areca Palm - Not only the highest ranking at removing toxins it also is great at keeping humidity in the air.
- Lady Palm - Almost tied with the Areca Palm, but not as good at removing Formaldehyde. Your best bet is to have many types of plants in your home.
- Bamboo Palm - An all around great air purifier. This plant will get big.
- Rubber Plant - Great at removing all the bad stuff in your air along with adding moisture. As the plant grows and grows it just keeps getting better at removing the toxins. This plant will get pretty big too.
- Dracaena (Janet Craig) - Best spot is in newly carpeted rooms that have loads of toxins.
- English Ivy - Allergies be gone with this houseplant. Mold in the air is quickly removed with these.
- Date Palm Tree - Not as great as it's three siblings (see 1, 2 and 3), but don't pass on these guys just yet. If added to your home with other plants listed you will notice big results.
- Ficus Alii - Easy to care for and great at purifying the air. If you have an allergy to latex wear gloves when handling.
- Boston Fern - The best plant at removing Formaldehyde.
- Peace Lily - Another easy to grow plant. A great air purifier too.
Aloe Vera - Not only known for it's medicinal properties, but does a decent job of removing Formaldehyde from the air.
Spider Plants - The more the merrier. Amazing at removing carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide from the air. Put these all over your house.
Chrysanthemums - Removes VOC Benzene from the air.
Philodendron (Heart Leaf) - Awesome at removing Formaldehyde from the air.
Snake Plant (Mother in Law Tongue) - Amazing at removing toxins from the air and great hearty growers.
Just remember to read up on the type of plants you have so you know how to care for them and what to watch out for (e.g Ficus for latex allergies). Who needs an air purifier with expensive filters?!