Sunday, May 16, 2010

How does your garden grow? Part 10: Winter Sowing update.



Oh am I excited that it is supposed to be in the 70s all week. I am more than getting the bug to put my plants in the ground. Soon! My husband tilled the garden plot this weekend. My makeshift compost pile was worked into the soil also. I wanted to update you on the progress of my Winter Sowing. Look at my babies grow. :) Oh I am a proud mama. Hee hee.

If you look closely at my picture above, it's a portion of my Winter Sown seedlings. Actually, they are a little past seedlings and almost full fledged plants. Clockwise from the top, starting with Mr. Diet Squirt Bottle, the bush beans. All of their leaves are turned over because they were getting too big inside the 2L bottle. They are about 6" tall. Next up is a teeny tiny little tomato plant (not sure if it's an Heirloom Beefsteak or a Brandywine). This guy isn't really a Winter Sown. He's a wannabe. He's actually so embarrassed that he's hiding under a leaf from his much larger brother in the white vinegar jug. He's in the picture to show you how much better my Winter Sown did compared to my indoor guys. Isn't that amazing?! And onto the vinegar jug (bottom of picture). The tomato plants in the vinegar jug are the same ones that I snapped a picture of the first time I talked about Winter Sowing. They are much larger now. See the difference....?!



I am definitely going to do 99% of my seeds Winter Sown style next winter. This was awesome. I am so happy that I read the post that day over at the Sparta Savings blog. She gave me the idea to dig deeper into this. I can't blame her for my compulsion to have to know every little deatil about projects I start. Sorry, that's another post on another day. I hope your gardening is going great. I'd love to see what you have going on in your gardens!

No comments: